Monday, August 21, 2006

COLERIDGE WAY 4

I was a little nervous about this next stretch as it was 5 miles and it is some time since I have walked so far. I have a bad habit of yacking to all and sundry whilst walking and this has resulted in three separate leg fractures. My bone density is fine – no osteoporosis but sheer b----y carelessness ranks high on my register. However I have learnt to be careful and I had son No 1 and two teen-age grandchildren to keep an eye on me.

We left Bicknoller, carefully crossed the A358 and then the West Somerset Steam Railway line. Sadly the train had passed by the time I got the camera out but I was assured it was a diesel not a steam. It is a privately owned steam railway running regular services from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead and all our children love it. Eventually we reached the village of Sampford Brett with its 13th C Church – St George’s.

After Aller farm we went through a kissing gate and along a bridle way. Through woods we came to a bridge where we had to transfer coins from one side to the other. Then up a long winding trail. Looking back one could see the sea to the left but visibility wasn’t great. The walk was punctuated with photo stops, talking to the animals and chatting to a lone walker. The pretty village of Monksilver with its 12 C All Saints Church built of red sandstone was our destination and we had a refreshing drink at the Notley Arms but son no 1- a real ale fan had chosen the Carew Arms at Crowcombe for lunch

I really enjoyed the walk – it was well within my capabilities especially with such company. Next stop Himalayas? A bonus at the pub was an excellent jazz band. There were lots of children and dogs racing round the garden and although we had a long wait for lunch the time passed pleasantly enough.

16 comments:

kenju said...

The pub and the jazz band would have been motivation enough for me to complete the walk. We were in Central Park this week, and there was a good jazz band playing along the side of one path. I thought they'd have a box out for donations, but they didn't, they were playing for the sheer joy of it, I guess.

Pat said...

Hi Judy - I saw you were back. I think joy and jazz go together. The band looked to be pensioners and went on for hours quite happily.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

You should go hill climbing with Peter at Naked Blog - I bet you'd leave him standing!

Have just been catching up with your story from the very beginning. Ooh we have so much in common! "Leon" is one of my favourite films too - Jean Reno is a real hunk isn't he? Influence of grandmothers. Irish grandparent. And the dark haired gipsy looking boy ... your description of YTL the first time you saw him, I'd have gone head over heels too! Now I'm hooked.

Pat said...

Daphne: I'll tell him - he'll be tickled!

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Your grand-daughter's wellies rock!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Bridle path? Kissing gate? Why am I stuck in this horrible place? Me jealous? Never....

Pat said...

Sam: not the most suitable for walking but I know when to keep shtum!

4d: they're are disadvantages to being off the beaten track - mainly distance from loved ones - but at least they like to visit.

Anonymous said...

I must put that walk on the list if where Girlpants and I can visit - it looks marvellous. If you fancy a nice long easy walk further down south, there's the old Princetown/Plymouth disused train line that led to old iron age settlements. Large places for picnics and enough room to fly a kite without anyone around. Or pylons. They tend to interfere with the kite flying process.

granny p said...

How all this makes me ache for Somerset.. Do you know about the other railway, the Mineral Line that took iron ore down from the Brendons to Watchet? It's worth following up. You can follow it up from Roadwater along the Comberow Valley, then climb the incline up to the remains of the winding-house from which you get the most spectacular view..Groan..

Pat said...

sim: thanks for the info. We have just done another five miler before they leave tomorrow and i am nackered but must get my glad rags on for dinner on the town!

Pat said...

Granny P: funny you should mention that; today we did the next leg from Monksilver to Roadwater and saw signs to the Mineral Line. We are just over half way now on the Coleridge Way so the Mineral Line will be next on the list. At the moment I'm creaking a little!

Dr Maroon said...

You take a good photo. They have prompted me to google the Coleridge way. A surprise to learn Coleridge stayed in the Quantocks. And the place names are straight out of Tolkien's Shire. Quintessentially English. Looks fab.

Pat said...

Doc M: not only did he stay here - he's meant to have written 'The Ancient Mariner'here.
Not good enough to google it - you have to walk it and suffer like I am doing!

Anonymous said...

Once again, the photos are a great interlude.

Cheers.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Your grandchildren will really appreciate this record of your life!

Pat said...

GG: maybe more so in years to come.