Monday, November 06, 2006

WILLIAM FRANKLYN 192

WILLIAM FRANKLYN 1925-2006

I first met Bill in 1953 when I started modelling – in fact on my first job where I had to play a frightened wife.  Not difficult as I was scared stiff but Bill was so friendly and did all he could to give me confidence.  At that time he was a ‘resting ‘actor.  
He came from a theatrical family – his father Leo was a skilled musical comedy actor and Bill himself, over a long career was an excellent leading man.

Everybody would recognise his voice – the voice of Schweppes when he whispered ‘Schhh! You know who.’
I can’t believe he was 81.  In my mind he will always be tall, handsome, debonair and a sweetie. R.I.P.

6 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

I didn't know he'd died!! Remember him in lots of things. He was in The New Avengers with Patrick Macnee I think and I often see him on re-runs of things from the 50's and 60's. He had a lot of creases around his eyes suggesting he laughed a lot. In his 80's!!! Bloody hell I'm feeling old. Still if his 'laughter lines' are anything to go by he had a good life.

Pat said...

4d: I think he probably did. He was very popular and a cricket enthusiast. When I first met him we had a coffee after the shoot and he was saying if only he could get a film he could pay off some bills. I think he probably had a young family then so I was delighted when he started doing well.

granny p said...

Oh that voice! All these deaths - tho' 81's not such a bad age. I'm looking forward to the bit in your story when you change jobs...

Pat said...

granny p: no 81 is reasonable but he was still a young man in my mind and very dishy!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

I had a G&T in his memory. With Schweppes, of course.

Pat said...

Bottoms up Daphne!