Friday, May 25, 2007

GETTING SORTED
Aside

Lately I have had a couple of problems - admittedly miniscule in the general scheme of things but looming large on my little horizon. Eirstly - a stiff neck which has made blogging uncomfortable. I realised that the typists chair I have been using was probably inadequate and certainly too low in height. Fiddling with the screws caused it to fall apart (I paid £12 for it a couple of years ago) so I replaced it – pro tem - with a dining chair but you have to be able to swivel and slide and this was solid and static.

So yesterday we went off to the PC World / Office stuff area and did the Mummy Bear act - sitting, swivelling and ruminating. None of them felt right and then MTL noticed one apart which was ‘chair of the week’ on special offer and it felt ‘just right’.
Unfortunately it was a flat pack but for an extra £5 they will put it together for you. First we had to check it would fit in the car and MTL got full marks for having had the forethought to collapse the seats.

A jolly girl carried it out for us, it fitted and twenty minutes later my new chair was deposited in the car. It is black leather – truly – has arms and a high back and it is soooo comfortable especially for those times one sits staring at the screen. Buoyed by success we went on to MFI and bought a rare sun recliner that can be left out all summer, and even got that in the car also. We scrubbed plans to see Johnny Depp and retired gracefully.

My second problem is more difficult. After hitting a protruding wall turning right over a narrow bridge, my confidences has eroded and since Bluebell, my car, died I haven’t driven at all. Watching a programme about elderly drivers prompted me to take action. Incidentally I have been guilty of laughing at some of the antics old people get up to but it has to be done with a certain amount of wit. I didn’t find Jo Brand asking a nice elderly man if she could address him as an old fart hilariously funny. Ageism is just as unattractive as all the other isms and guess what Jo – one day you too will be an old lady.

Next Thursday I shall have a refresher lesson (an assessment as far as I am concerned) and if the instructor thinks it is worthwhile will have four further two hour lessons to boost my confidence. The first lesson has to be in his car – a Fiesta and then – hopefully – the rest in our Focus. Wish me luck!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bumps and scrapes will always erode confidence, but have faith and pretty soon you'll be back behind the wheel. Question is, what will you be driving if not Bluebell?

granny p said...

we can call ourselves 'old farts' - but let anyone else...As for the driving; go for it. And stick out another fancy leg or two as in the picture above ...x

Kim Ayres said...

Forget driving lessons, just strap old tyres around the car, like they have on the sides of boats, to if you bump into anything it cushions the impact.

Then get yourself a really big horn installed so you can let everyone know you're coming.

Pat said...

Sim: thanks for the encouragement. It'll be MTL's car - Ford Focus which I'm told will be easier once I'm used to it. I'm not a fan of the sloping wind screen which makes one feel so distant.

grannyp: That's it exactly! I'll do my best. I think you'll understand why a stranger is going to be a bettter instructor.

Pat said...

Kim that's a really excellent idea - a tank would be even better - but somehow I think MTL would have the odd objection!

Z said...

That's a really good idea and I hope you get a good report and therefore your confidence back.

Why do we have bumpers, if not to use them once in a while?

Pat said...

Thanks Z! I'll remember that:)

Monozygote said...

guess what Jo – one day you too will be an old lady

I thought she already was!

Pat said...

Oooooh Dandelion you are awful! But I like you!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Me too, I have a stiff neck, but I don't know how. My mum has offer to massage my back, my neck, but the thought of lying down when I have so much to do...

I agree, Jo Brand was not funny. I've hung around the elderly since I was a leeeeetle child [part of our culture], I laugh and tease them but it has to be done in a way that they appreciate too.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hope you regain your confidence...I'm sending lots of good vibes to get you out there.

Pat said...

GG: thanks for the good vibes - I'll remember them next Thursday and hug them round me like a cashmere shawl.
I'd jump at your Mum's offer of a massage if I were you. Maybe its just a computer neck?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the stiff neck. Hope it gets better soon.
As for driving, I'm sure you'll make better progress than I am, even though Bear's driving will force me to take over sooner rather than later.

Pat said...

Sablonneuse: thank you. I hope you are in a part of France where the traffic is minimal. Here it used to be very quiet but- like every where else has got busier and busier and some areas - like parts of Devon have appalling drivers who bully and harass you if you dare to stick to the speed limit.

Unknown said...

Women drivers! pfft! Just dont go near any trees! lol.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Pat, the roads are quieter here than in Norfolk - except during the rush hour - but it's the parking and manoevring I'm worried about.

Pat said...

Sablonneuse: m'aussi! but I am in Somerset - not Norfolk:)

Pat said...

Johng: as someone said if men did the map reading and women did the driving things would be more peaceful!

test fish said...

parts of Devon have appalling drivers who bully and harass you if you dare to stick to the speed limit

drivers like that are everywhere, aren't they?
personally, i like to wait for a stretch of road where they can't overtake me, and then brake suddenly and for no apparent reason, indicate randomly but never turn, and/or slow waaaaaaay down and then turn my hazard-lights on.
it doesn't make them less angry, on the whole, but it does seem to make them quite afraid.
can't imagine why.
yes, this is a little (A) evil and (B) dangerous... but they usually back off.
and i don't get the chance very often -- not because there's a bully-shortage, alas, but because it just wouldn't work if they had the chance to overtake, and long stretches of road were that's not possible are few and far between.

good luck with your refresher!

Pat said...

Amy: I'm relieved you can't do that very often. We have cases of road rage which can be life threatening. Part of me thinks 'Go girl!' but mainly I feel 'do be careful - it's a jungle out there!'
Thanks for the good wishes.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, the right chair makes all the difference. My dad sprung for me to have a Steelcase here at my desk, and during both of my pregnancies, it was the only comfortable seat in the house.

But I'd sure love leather!

As for driving, best of luck. I understand completely about confidence; I almost got broadsided yesterday and was more than glad to park my baby in the garage and take my bike out instead...

Michele sent me with lots of good vibes and happy tushies at the computer!

kenju said...

Sorry about the stiff neck; I hope it gets better soon. I understand how anacident can make you lose confidence. That has happened to me. I'm sure you'll be fine after a few lessons.

Pat said...

Susan : thank you - that's sweet of you. My tush is much happier!

Judy: I hope you haven't any ill effects after your slip and hope you are using a stool. I think curtains are dangerous - they give you a false sense of security.
Confidence is a funny thing - there's only so much another person can do and then it's down to me.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Michele sent me back my dear Pat...Sometimes I think I should change my chair or get a laptop...Just to give me some options as to where and how I sit!

I hope you get over that feling about driving, though I can certainly understand it...
And in your Michele commenty you said you are "off to the mountains"..! Well have a lovely lovely time, my dear Pat! Happy Weekend to you!

Pat said...

Naomi you have made me smile. When I said I was off to the mountains I was off to see 'David in the mountains.'
to meet and greet:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele sent me. A chair can make a difference in those positions we don't notice we hold ourselves in.

Good luck in the refresher course. It's a responsible choice.

Pat said...

Thanks Pearl! Let's hope it works out.

FOUR DINNERS said...

According to my daughter I'm an old fart already. I suppose in a few years I'll be an ancient fart. Still she hugs me when she says it so that's all right then.

Pat said...

4d: it's better to have your children affectionate rather than overly in awe. Mine certainly are:)

Granny said...

My neck is stiff because of having to look at the screen through nasty bifocals.

Good luck with the refresher course. I've noticed my confidence level dropping too and I no longer drive at night unless I must.

Pat said...

granny: I think you could have something there and maybe my varifocals are to blame . I'll try my reading glasses. O feel for you about the driving. at least I don't have to at present but I'm determined to try and get back on track.