Monday, February 04, 2008

Margaret’s Birthday Treat

Aside

Joy picked us up at 10.30am positively glowing from the treat we had given her. She had had a full body massage only the day before and it was great to see her relaxed and carefree. Only Joy knew what was in store for us and our first stop was Dunster Forest where we had a welcome coffee. It was jolly cold but the skies were blue and the sun shone so we felt blessed after the frightful weather, which has now resumed again.

We drove through Dunster and then took a single track road towards Luxborough. Normally Margaret is the fearless one regarding narrow roads but Joy drove merrily on for miles, so relaxed I wondered if we had overdone the therapy. We didn’t have to reverse once and Margaret pointed out a valley to our right where there is a deserted village. She couldn’t remember the name but said she would check with her husband Malcolm, who knows such a lot about flora and fauna and the history of Somerset.

Eventually we reached Stogumber which can be tricky for parking but we found the last space outside the church and opposite the pub: TheWhite Horse. We were grateful for the roaring fire and put the world to rights over a glass of wine (except for our driver) Jackie and I chose sausage and mash with onion gravy and lots of vegetables, whilst Joy and Margaret had broccoli and brie quiche. We all chose bread and butter pudding with apricot and saffron with either cream or custard and as usual I was allowed ice cream instead.

By now the pub was bustling with, mainly, locals and we remembered years ago, when we had come with the Guild to play skittles and that reminded us of some of the members who were no longer alive; one is ever aware of ‘Time’s winged chariot’. It doesn’t seem that long ago that we could have yomped down the valley to search for the village but now, only two of us could manage it. We do count our blessings. My turn nextJ ( I don’t mean popping off – treat time.)

We came back along theside the Quantocks. Malcolm searched high and low but couldn’t find his book on the village but thanks to Google I found this: Don’t miss the photos below.

Google ‘The Lost Village of Clicket’ to find out more. I can’t seem to transfer it.

Photos of our outing below:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you were blessed with beautiful weather.

Good times.

Cheers.

Wayne said...

Stogumber - what a great name. And 'The Lost Village of Clicket' - implausibly exciting for a Monday morning. You're a good advert for the great outdoors.

Anonymous said...

What was the beer like?

Pat said...

Dandelion: your comment has disappeared. The villagers take odd people in their stride. We are comparatively normal. One of my reader likes to see what we have been eating.

Pat said...

Randall: we have had some shocking days recently. The girls are often lucky.

Wayne: welcome! It does sound good doesn't it. I think the tourist board should pay me:)

Andrewm: as you know I'm a laydee and do not drink beer. MTL says 'it's perfectly OK!'

Anonymous said...

How do you pronounce Stogumber? Is it STOW or STOH and where's the stress? I've been trying out various possibilities in my head and I think it must be StowGUMber??
Anyway, your day out and meal sounded lovely.

Pat said...

Sablonneuse: STOG as in blog and we pronounce it stoGUMBer. I haven't been corrected yet but there are some weird ones.

Monozygote said...

Make that two of your readers. I like to see what you've been eating too!

Pat said...

Dandelion: did you read 'Tim' the post before?

Anonymous said...

Sausage and mash ans onion gravy was what Kate Winslet had for her wedding meal at her first marriage.

Glad you all had such a lovely day. Friends matter so much.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE All the pictures Pat....(Especially your Lubch Photo's....lol)....You gals have such wonderful adventurous outings....I think it is great! Not only that you spend such lovely quality time together, but that you always go somewhere so very interesting! I'm going to Google The Lost Village, right now!

Pat said...

Sam: I like Kate - glad I'm in good company.

Naomi:we had coffee together this morning. We never seem to run out of chat:)

Monozygote said...

No, not yet, but I will do forthwith.

On the subject of the bangers and mash photo, you'd better be careful z doesn't get wind of it
:-)

Pat said...

Dandelion: pourquoi?

Monozygote said...

It's the configuration.

Pat said...

Dandelion: I think I see:)