Sunday, May 31, 2009

Did J R Lowell get it wrong?



He asked what was so rare as a day in June but yesterday afternoon May 30th -in the garden - I gazed over the hedge to the Quantocks – some twenty odd miles away and the earth seemed to stand still, every sense lulled with the beauty of the sight, sound, smell and feel of the moment. It felt so good to be alive all fears and worries, aches and pains receded



And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days;
Then Heaven tries the earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays:
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;


A verse from a long poem by James Russell Lowell

9 comments:

kenju said...

Those moments are golden - and too far between!

Unknown said...

It isn't June yet! *scarpers*

Pat said...

Judy: I suppose that's what makes them so special.

Kim Ayres said...

May is the month for them for me. I get more special days in May than any other month of the year.

Ms Scarlet said...

I love it when that happens.
Sx

Pat said...

John.g: but he's Americam and their time is different. Isn't it?

Kim: oh well - there's always next May:)

Scarlet: good isn't it?

Keith said...

That reminds me of that lovely poem called "What if...."
by Benjamin Zephaniah

'If you can keep your money when governments about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust your neighbour when they trust not you

And they be very nosy too;

If you can await the warm delights of summer

Then summer comes and goes with sun not seen,

And pay so much for drinking water
Knowing that the water is unclean'.
etc.,etc.


I do believe that some upstart by the name of Rudyard Kipling did a parody of the above poem, but not as good as the above.

Leah said...

This is so pretty!

Pat said...

Keith: I thought you were making it up but apparently he exists and wrote
'Be nice to yu turkeys dis christmas. Cos' turkeys just wanna hav fun. Turkeys are cool, turkeys are wicked .'
How could I doubt you?

Leah: I've jus realised that a very obvious reason I love May - it was/ is my mother's name.