Monday, October 05, 2009

What a Guy!


I saw him on the Andrew Marr political show yesterday and he can have my vote any day. Sadly he’s not a candidate – nor likely to be since he became an American citizen in 1993. I’ve known of him for years – a Lancashire lad – educated at Durham - editor of the Sunday Times and recognised as a crusading journalist. He was instrumental in nailing Kim Philby – the arch spy, he took on the drugs companies and enabled the thalidomide victims to get compensation after a decade of frustration and he was responsible for instigating check ups for cervical cancer.


I don’t know what he’s been up to in America beyond writing books and being married to Tina Brown but he’s like a breath of fresh air over here and I felt comforted when he spoke of ‘us ‘– meaning Brits. Diminutive in appearance he has a towering personality but his greatest asset for me is that he talks basic good sense and both Andrew Marr and Polly Toynbee listened with some respect.


I look forward to reading his latest book ‘My Paper Chase’ - his autobiography -especially his early life when we lived within twenty miles of each other. Incredibly – like Churchill - he failed his eleven plus. After listening and watching him on TV I told MTL and we decided he must be 70 but with what aplomb he wears his years. I couldn’t believe it when I discovered he was born in 1928 which makes him 82.

In case you haven’t guessed the object of my admiration is Sir Harold Evans

7 comments:

Charlie said...

When a man is caring, has scruples, and a burning desire for the truth, he is the exact opposite of a politician.

Be thankful that Sir Harold is the man he is, and his book should be fascinating.

Unknown said...

Hi Pi. I can only do nice easy sums, like 1928 to 2009, which I make 81 years. Agreed ???
Cheers, Mike.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

When you mentioned the Thilidomide Horrors, I knew he had to be in his early 80's--that horrible scandelous drug was in the 1950's, wasn't it? What a terrific man! I look forward to reading his book!

Kevin Musgrove said...

That was back in the days when newspapers employed journalists instead of ripping off AP releases and slapping fictitious by-lines on them.

Pat said...

Charlie: I'm going to treat myself to his book because I'm guessing it won't be cheap.
I forgot to quote one of his quotes:-
'In journalism it is simpler to sound off than it is to find out. It is more eloquent to pontificate than it is to sweat'

Mike: it's because I am very aware of my next birthday which is two years younger than him - do you see what I mean? I know he's 2 years older than me and I've already - in my mind advanced to my birthday in March. It's all perfectly logical- if you're a woman but you're not so you probably think I'm bonkers. Don't worry MTM does also:)

Naomi: I think it must have been the fifties and my maths expert has worked out he is 81 - to my shame:)

Kevin: they certainly were different - and better.

DILLIGAF said...

Who? What? When?...I missed some'at here. Who he?

Anyroad.

I don't trust any of them. Politicians are, in the nicest possible way, complete lying cheating scumbags who are thratening our democracy because they are frightened to listen to us.

The current Govt got 25% of the vote out of 45% at the last General Election.

Excuse me????? Less than half the country voted and only a quarter of thise voted Labour????

"We have a mandate!"

....er....who from chaps?

Soz.

Soapbox.

Shut up Dinners.

I quite like old Boris as it goes.

Anyroad. I'm pissed and off to bed.

G'night babe xx

Pat said...

He's worth googling - you might like him - he's not a politician and he is a northerner so that has to count for something. I'm talking about Harold Evans. After listening to him on Sunday I couldn't be bothered to listen to Cameron although I'll probably vote for him. Boris's charm escapes me:)
G'night.