Monday, January 18, 2010

Edie Falco

I started watching Nurse Jackie simpy because of Edie Falco. Any actor with a leading part in The Sopranos has to be worth a try. The BBC ran six episodes on the trot by which time I was hooked I have to say it's not like any hospital ward I've ever worked on but that was a long time ago. In spite of the drugs and the fact that she is cheating on a husband and a lover both of whom she appears to love (she slips her ring into her uniform pocket when on duty so the lover may not even know she is married with children) she is basically a caring, compassionate nurse.

In spite of the seriousness of the subjects dealt with there are hilarious moments such as when she has a mobile clutched to each ear as she murmurs to both men 'Love you!' and rings off. She has a habit of replacing a sucrose packet with some other substance and drops it into her coffee to see her through the day and unknowingly an officious supervisor helps herself and as a result demonstrates great physical comedy.
Each part is brilliantly played as one has come to expect in American shows of this calibre.

You can imagine I was not thrilled when after six episodes of twelve it vanished off the face of the earth but all is not lost. Thanks to Michael Ball on Sunday Brunch the next episode is tonight BBC2 at 10 pm and thence every Monday till the end. Look out for Zoey played by Merritt Weaver. When asked who she would like to play her in a movie of her life Edie said Merritt - she is scary- talented. so even though we don't look alike I'd be honoured if she would play me as there's nothing she can't do.
Posted by Picasa

25 comments:

Charlie said...

I haven't seen Nurse Jackie because I watch very little television. Edie Falco, though, is an excellent actress.

You mention The Sopranos, and I'm wondering if you watched it. We have all six seasons on DVD, but we haven't finished the last season yet. As far as I'm concerned, I've never seen a better ensemble cast.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I'm so glad you are getting NURSE JACKIE over there....I LOVE IT! I think it is a really wonderfully done show in every way. Edie Falco is superb--And that she could make you forget Carmella Soprano, says what a truly fine actress she is....Everyone is terrific, as is the writing, too.....
The second season starts here in the next few weeks, I think---maybe February. I CANNOT WAIT!

Granny Annie said...

I loved your recent comment over at Imagine so I came for a visit. I love Edie Falco but never heard of NURSE JACKIE. Loved every single episode of THE SOPRANOS and wish we had something like that coming up. I'll try to get NURSE JACKIE on my Netflix.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

My favourite is Grey's Anatomy. Love the show and the twistedness of it all.

Thanx for stopping by my wee blog. Hope to see you there again soon.

Five kidlettes? How did you do it?

Pat said...

Charlie : I was a great fan of the Sopranos - especially Tony. Ensemble acting at its best. You may like Jackie.

Naomi: if its got your thumbs up its smoking!

Granny Annie: welcome! You have a treat in store with Jackie.

Pat said...

Gillian: some of my best blogging friends I met through Kim. BTW I only gave birth to two boys;)
I'll look out for Grey's Anatomy.

Leigh Russell said...

I've never watched it but it sounds like an excellent series. I'll look out for repeats.

Madame DeFarge said...

I shall have to pick this up in iPlayer. Not having a TV during the week, I rarely have a chance to watch anything these days.

Nea said...

I missed it! It was on here during the Autumn. If I'm lucky they'll send it again soon, I'll try and keep my eyes open.

Pat said...

Leigh, Madame D and Nea: the content is very near the knuckle but that said it is a brilliant series.

kenju said...

We don't get that channel and I hope one day to rent all the episodes. I loved her on the Sopranos!!

Rosaria Williams said...

Edie Falco has quite a following. She is funny and capable of delivering drama or comedy.
I will look for this show.

Pat said...

Judy and Lake viewer: I think you'd both like it - especially as you already appreciate her.

Anonymous said...

I feel left out. Brushed to one side. Whatever.

I haven't had a TV for twelve years and the only time I see anything is usually in a dealers window or at the pub AND IT'S ALWAYS FOOTBALL!

So when you post about TV programmes spare a thought for the poor people like me who never see TV and don't know what you are talking about. I've never heard of Edie Falco, Michael Ball, Merritt Weaver and Uncle Tom Cobley an' all!

Pat said...

Keith: I have at least two friends TV-less and I apologise for the posts which aren't of interest. I wish I had shed loads of posts just waiting to be aired but with the increasingly reclusive life we lead I tend to grab any topic which catches my interest and BTW Michael Ball's Sunday Brunch is radio - another great stand-by. We only get a paper when one of us goes out so the TV and radio do keep us in touch.
The birds are especially for you:)

Anonymous said...

Don't apolgise Pat, I was only joking. I choose not have a TV, that's why I don't know a lot!

I enjoy your posts, and I wouldn't say that you have a reclusive life judging from your outings with friends and family.

If we all blogged about the same things then blogging would become very boring. I enjoy the diversity of all the different pages from around the world.

Pat said...

Keith: you rascal you!

nursemyra said...

the best show about nurses is a British one called "Getting On". Have you seen it?

DILLIGAF said...

I will try to track it down!

I must admit...due to daughter Jax...I am a bit addicted to 'Scrubs'.

I'll find it. Channel? Time?

oops...BBC2 10pm...damn!!!

I'll be there Monday!!!!

Pat said...

Nursemyra: no - I'll look out for it.

Four D; see ya! Bring chocolate:)

Shane said...

You have good taste, Patty. That is to say, I agree with you re Nurse Jackie and Edie Falco. Eve Best's Dr Eleanor O'Hara is a woman who I could easily fall for - laconic, gorgeous and... well, that's enough actually - laconic and gorgeous.

Word verification: 'scapries' (sounds nice)

Pat said...

Shane: she's British isn't she and vaguely familiar. I must google her. Scapries and chips - delicous!

nursemyra said...

here's a glimpse.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00llg8k

Pat said...

Nursemyra: I caught an early and then they seemed to disappear.

Pat said...

Nea: your comments keep getting way laid.